Final Week
What is a network? What ever your definition may be, I consider a network to be an integral part of social capital. The network around you, whether it is at work, at home, or even church, helps establish yourself as an individual. But when you are a part of a group, it is important to maintain your own identity and values. This past week I was really ill and not able to complete any volunteer hours, so my journal will have to be a reflection of what I have learned thus far.
These reason I began contemplating networks was that when I was ill, I had an amazing support network around me. My families, Dr. Kluthe, the professors on campus, were all more than willing to help me the best to their ability. Because of this, I want to be able to give back to them in the way of academic performance and dedication to my education. This, from my point of view, is social capital.
It exists every where around you. Not just in the clinics or areas that were given volunteerism, but also in the personal networks around you. It is a process of give and take. While I gave my time to the clinic, I learned so much more about human behavior and work societal hierarchy (as an outsider), that I could never monetarily give back. The patients taught me that our past affects who we are today. Not only physically, but also in mental capacity. Others that have not been given the educational opportunity we have are nonetheless a significant part of society.
While I worked with patients, I got to experience first hand the power of human spirit, both from the therapists and the patients. All the patients were so dedicated, determined, to make a change in their live and the therapists were determined to help make a change in the lives of those around them. Their give and take was such a huge part of their own social capital.
What I have taken away from this experience is that the most integral part of social capital is: Kindness. A little kindness does go along way. Whether it is at work, at home, or where you are volunteering, you gain a network, and therefore more social capital just from those around you. So as we move on from this experience I vow to do this: walk out the door everyday with a smile. Because whether the trash man is at your curb, the mailman walks by, or your neighbor says hello, you can impact those around you. One of our goals was to show to our communities what college students were like in person. By arriving with just a smile and an attitude to make a difference, you’ll never know what you can take away from the experience at the end of the day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home