Week Five
I don’t feel as if I have anything deep or worth contemplating for this weeks volunteering. While I don’t feel as if I am accomplishing anything during my time, I still like the personal interaction with the disabled. At times it can be disgusting. The first week an elderly woman peeped herself just before her therapy. However, Nell’s limitless compassion made sure that no one noticed nor did she let it interfere with her energy to help the woman or even touch her. While this seems insignificant, imagine a woman who reeked of urine and had obviously not bathed that day, and be able to treat her as if she was the apple of your eye. I hope that I don’t come off as making fun or that this is somehow a funny thing. To me, it was amazing. In today’s society, we treat each other with such distance. We are so judgmental. I am as guilty of it as anyone else. Furthermore, I am sometimes embarrassed by the things I say or hear those around me say. How is it today’s society we can not appreciate each other for the difference, the unique aspect, they bring to the world. While higher education brings distinguish, it does not permit snootiness. The garbage men in your city may not be like you, and you may want to think yourself better than they, but without them, you would be surrounded by your own filth. Co-dependency is an integral element in a developed civilization, but nevertheless, hierarchy still exists. It may not be acknowledged with a crown, but it exists in every office, every government, and every community. Social capital is essential, but I yearn to contribute positively.
I could bore you with details of how I helped a mentally disabled girl learn to bend with her knee in the correct position, but I don’t feel as if that is what I am at all learning from this experience. I am growing as a person. I needed something to take me out of my bubble, and to expose myself to something I really would rather not do. I have to convince myself that my service is worth while, if anything to myself. I may not learn any type of practice or trade from my volunteering, but I think I am being given the tools to change how I perceive the world around me. My mind is constantly evaluating why I behave the way I do. We all have our own goals and values, but I need to know what I stand for. I may be young, but I’m up to the challenge. As I continue to work with patients, I can’t wait to see what I learn about their past and my future.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home