~~WeEk SiX~~
Although this week was spring break, I still went and spent a few hours at Cox Monett Clinic. This week was really fun and eventful, considering I was there on child day. Child day may not be an official term, but this past Wednesday there were 3 children in for cognitive and physical therapy and they were beyond entertaining.
It was incredible getting to watch them learn new things and new ideas in just a short period of time. A therapist there, Donna, said that was the best part of the job. She said while working with others that have an extreme amount of pain or discomfort during their therapy is not fun, teaching a young child how to hit a baseball for the first time in his life was the most incredible feeling and made her job worth it. Hitting a baseball with a bat may seem pretty simple, but to a child who has no real coordination or focus, it really is amazing. We worked with so many different patients that day, but all of them seem to be making progress. I get to play games with the younger patients and also help the therapists show patients how to perform certain exercises.
Meanwhile, the clinic is undergoing internal struggle, with the management setting forth a new dress code, attendance, and time card policy. They are encouraging putting forth a unified front to society. I find this extremely ironic because it was shared with me that they are doing this because of a few certain people. Pretty “unified’ huh?
Finally, it amazes me how such a small group of people can effect the lives of so many. It is astounding to work with a stroke victim who needs the strength back in her legs, and half an hour later teach a 3 year old how to control the movement of her legs. These therapists are giving people there lives back, while also helping fully start the lives of others. I may not desire this career for the rest of my life, but I do want to be able to make this kind of impact on the society around me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home