Amanda Hinkle

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Amanda Hinkle- Week One

What a first day. That is the only phrase that comes to mind as I reflect upon my first day volunteering for the Cox Hospital rehab facility. I had already been through a type of “orientation” from the hospital volunteer coordinator, Janelle Patton, however, I wasn’t quite prepared for what I was getting in to. At Cox Monett, their stated mission is posted in every department, as well as on their name tags. Their mission states:

Cox Monett's mission is to improve the health status of our community by providing high quality health care, education and wellness, through value and convenience with a personal touch.

It appears their mission has changed many times over the years, but one thing remains consistent-the desire for personal and kind care. My supervisor each day will change as I explore each therapy and I will work with patients from infant to elderly- all with their own personal stories. While I cannot divulge any details, I will attempt to share their stories each week with you. My “Peter Pan” for the day was Nell Marie. I began to call her my “Peter Pan” because she was always looking for her shadow (me). The clinic was so excited to have a young person observing them that they all wanted to share what they do day-to-day.
Nell encompasses the hospitals mission statement. I don’t believe I have ever met a more compassionate or giving human being in my life. She listens to the elderly as if she has all day, even thought that is not her job and she surely doesn’t have the time. I observed that the physical therapy part of wellness is only just the beginning for some. Most patients are children who are struggling or the elderly who are not the typical grandma’s and grandpa’s who play golf and wear the funny clothes-they are struggling against their bodies and their mind. Sometimes people just need to know that week after week there is someone counting on them to be somewhere, someone who is willing to help, someone trying to bring out the best in them.
My first day was definitely interesting. We had several patients who were scared and others on the point of tears, but they all were willing to let me observe in order for a younger generation to learn. I planned to only stay one hour that day, but ended up walking out at close. I’m sure that all of my days won’t be good, and that this job is a tough one. These therapists put others through pain in order to help them reach their full potential. Nell assured me we would have criers, the ones who would reek of body waste and be filthy dirty, and some who are reluctant to push themselves. However, I can’t wait to see what the day brings - I get to observe the human spirit first hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home