Amanda Hinkle ~ Week Two
This week I wasn’t able to volunteer as much as I would like to because of conflicting schedules, but I dropped in by the clinic for a while just so they knew they could count on me. So far, the only social capital at play is one of the grandest kind, human spirit. I realize that we are supposed to observe the organization, but at this point in the program, I am still awed at the determination and will of the people in our society termed to be “too old” or “senile.” My friends, this is far from the truth. While yes, there are some patients that are quite dependent on others, one special lady sticks out in my mind. Due to the confidentiality in my hospital contract, I will just call her “Emma.”
Emma has her own story to be told, but I don’t think anyone has ever really listened to her. During her therapy, she rattled on about how she believes that the cause of her shoulder and rotator cuff problems comes from lifting 8 tons of paper products in a factory in Kansas City during the 1940’s. She and her friend needed jobs, and manual labor was all she was hired to do. At this point I might want to inform you that Emma is about 5 feet nothing and ways about 100 pounds. During her therapy session, she pushed herself to the limits, claming the she wanted to be full functioning again. She wanted to be an active member of society and contribute to our hometown. Here this petite lady exercises and puts herself through pain just so she isn’t a burden, and I can’t remember the last time I exercised. Emma has more spunk in her than I ever would have thought if I had just passed her on the street. She was well-informed of what was going on in the news and had quite a bit to say, she just had to find someone to listen. Emma only has two more weeks of therapy left. She cut her recovery time in half because she wanted to get back in pace with the world.
Emma may seem like a meek little old lady if you had to meet with her. But once I got to know her, I discovered that she was far more fascinating than myself. So I will conclude on the thought that has plagued me this week: Before you count out members of society that you believe are invaluable “social capital,” don’t judge too quickly. Because the people I am learning from thus far are not those who hold the doctorates.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home