Amanda Hinkle

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Week Seven

Cox Rehab provides for a wide variety of diagnostics and treatment for people of all ages. Many of the problems we treat are associated with stroke, joint replacement, fractures, back/neck problems, movement problems, developmental growth, and much more. By attending rehab, a patient is more able to return to as normal a pattern of movement and functioning as possible. It has been a joy over the past two months getting to know all of these patients and their families. Each individual has a choice, to live fully or to simply exist.
Working at the clinic has taught me that I want to have an impact on the world around me. I want to be able to tell a story that will impact someone 50 years from now, like some I have come to know have done for me. These workers teach people how to talk, walk, and even give them independence. There is so much more to a person than the physical, and this clinic works at every level to find the depth in each person. The patients are not treated simply as business but rather, everyone makes an effort to take a genuine interest in the lives of others.
I love this idea of social capital. It’s most beneficial form may not be what one would expect. By interconnecting lives, people are stronger. When I think of social capital, my first thought is, “Who do I know that can help me better improve my situation?” But, I think that is only a shallow take to social capital. It is so much more than that. I love the idea of having a social network of people around each person, pushing that person towards success, and helping them through their struggle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home